Friday, October 14, 2011

Me and my Oddities

I have always been a bit odd. My brother called me a "tree hugging granola eater." I hate granola of most types, but I do like trees. My mother said I have a love of life. Is that code for loud and obnoxious?

I think the earliest of my medical oddities that I remember, I was maybe 3 or 4 years old. I got all these little bumps on my stomach, side, and arm. The doctor had to go look it up in a medical book. I had Molluscum Contagiosum, it is a type of Pox Virus. It shows up as little bumps with a white top. My mother was told to basically pop each one and pull the little white "ball" out, then it would go away and not come back. The problem was, it hurt like hell, and I had a lot of them. I still have the little circular scars on my side and a few on my arm. Back then it was a rarity. Sadly this condition has made a come back into our society and is seem more often these days in kids and adults. It is transmitted through skin to skin contact and fomites, like towels.

My daughter and my son both have had it. My son's went away by itself, pretty quickly. My daughter's however were all over and weren't going away. The doctor told us we could rupture them or wait and they would probably go away in about a year. We opted to rupture them. She had a few really nasty clusters and she would scratch them and they would bleed but she wouldn't get the white stuff out of it, so it didn't go away. I decided to rupture them in a more controlled way, a few at a time, making sure to get all the yuck out, then using antibacterial ointment and band aids. They are all gone now, with no scars.

I am really hoping that she doesn't follow in my odd medical life pattern. However, it appears she might just do that.

The next odd medical thing that I remember is with a tooth. Supposedly I am in a dentist medical book somewhere. I must have been 5 or 6 years old. I went to the dentist. He started poking at a tooth in the back on the left side. He cracked the tooth, so of course had to go in and fix it. Low and behold, my tooth had grown in hollow. He had never seen anything like it. I remember everyone in the office taking turns looking in my mouth. Sure that won't scare a young child at all. That tooth hasn't been right since. I guess that means it was never right then?

So you can see that this was just the beginning and I hadn't even seen a decade yet. Now I have 3 more decades and they just got weirder.

No comments:

Post a Comment